Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmastime in Houston

Well, the halls are decked here at M.D. Anderson and it is just so darn cheerful that we've almost forgotten why we're here! (Trying out an exercise in extreme optimism...) Abby flew in from Boston late last night, and Carrie arrived earlier today, so we're all assembled and settled comfortably in one of this hospital's seemingly infinite waiting rooms. With twinkle lights, of course.

As we speak mom is choking down here favorite quarterly meal: milk of magnesia, the chemical edition. She's only on the first bottle of two she has to drink, so if anyone is reading this between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, please pray that God--in his great mercy and kindness--will strike her tastebuds temporarily dead. For those of you who are wondering if it's really that bad, I'll simply tell you that under her breath, mom just said, "Gotta get my head game on." To fight the tumors on her liver? No. To get the Barium Sulfate down. Mmm, mmm, good.

By now we've got the schedule down pat. Blood tests, then beverage hour, then CT scan on Tuesday. Then we wait for Yao to give us the good news on Thursday. In the meantime, all four of us are incredibly grateful for your prayers, encouragements, and kind words. (Seriously, y'all should see her face right now with the Barium. Keep 'em coming.)

We'll let you know when we have more.
Love, love, love, the Loves (and the Love-Smith)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to "hear your voice" through your pen (keypad). I can tell your humor is in good form. I'm glad.

Please tell Mrs. Milkofmagnesia that when I walked into church Sunday I was stunned (I really do not have a strong enough word, so I'll just have to say stunned) by the beauty of the tree that Kim (and Dee and Tami) so skillfully wrought. Did I say it was stunning? Thanks, Kim, for sharing your God given gift for beauty with us. The worship center is so beautifully decorated. As you intended, its beauty is a wonderful reminder of His.

Our love and our prayers are with you both. We love you so very much.

Byron

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that YOU are all together! I have been praying and will continue! I hope you can have some fun in the midst of the hospital setting!
As my friend Caleb says- I love me some LOVES'!!!!!!
janet

roz said...

We continue to pray, and we love you all so much! In case you hadn't heard, we added a daughter in law to the fold last March. Isn't it wonderful to add new ones to the family???? We LOVE Christina...you guys hang in there and we KNOW there will be good news on Thursday!

The Pack Tribe

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....after all that Milk of Magnesia, hope dem halls aren't decked with more than Holly. Just kidding. We'll be praying for a GREAT report.

Dean

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear!! thank you for letting us know. I am praying and will continue to pray.

I miss you all. Please hug each other for me!

Much love,

Gail

Lora said...

Was so glad to see your update and that you are keeping us in the loop. Tell Kim my trick is to hold my nose and then chug as fast as possible. We are praying for a good report. MISS YOU SO MUCH! Know that we love you all!

Anonymous said...

All us Bene's are keeping you all close at heart...we 'love us some Loves', too!! Thanks for keeping us posted, most eloquent post-ers! We love hearing from you...looking forward to hearing GOOD NEWS on Thursday! Squeeze one another!
M, M, M, and J

BoersmasinMalawi said...

Hey Loves! Malawi is praying for good reports! And that you clear all that barium!!!
Mark for Britt, KG, Jackson, and Kate

Melinda Moore said...

I was just thinking last week how thankful I am for ya'll and thanking God for you!!! Will continue to pray. Kim thanks for giving us the gift of your Christmas decorating at CCC...love it!!!
Love ya'll, Melinda

dee said...

Hey you all!
Hope you're having a rip-roaring time at the hospital. Sorry about the wonderful holiday concoction that you have to imbibe, Kim!
Maybe you'll have something a little more flavorful latter in the holidays!
I'm praying for good news for you on Thursday. Still haven't got the panel done yet for this week. But I'm gonna try!
Get some rest before the rush!
Love you all
Dee

Anonymous said...

We prayed for you Tuesday morning and I'm glad to get this update.

Hope it went down (and stayed there), and you get a Yao-sa good report!

Caleb Seney said...

Thank you for the report. I would dare say that you guys have NO idea how much you are thought of and prayed for.

It is true, I do love me some LOVES!

Anne Williamson said...

I add my prayers and glad to hear from yall to them all Hug!
http://annesservicedogtraining.blogspot.com/
Check out Chimi's update!

Anonymous said...

Kimmie, Sooooo good to read Dickie's general info from yesterday. I've been picking up pecans all day up at the farm and praying for you . Still am. Judy

Anonymous said...

Kim and Dicky,

Thanks for letting us know of the news from Houston. You are praying along with you both. May His healing sweep you up into Himself.

Shaun and Melinda McIntire said...

Loves,
Thanks so much for the update. We are praying! I am soooo thankful all of you are together. God is good.
Love,
Melinda for all the Mc's