Wednesday, January 30, 2008

NOT from Dicky....sorry

Hi all, Abby here. I've been instructed to don the blog-mantle between Dad's oh-so-informative posts. After reading all your comments--especially those that say new posts remind them to pray--I'm wondering why we haven't been doing this every four minutes.

Unfortunately, I'm not in Houston, but I am in frequent contact with those who are. Radioactive life is going pretty smoothly, according to D&K's last report. And by that, of course, I mean mom is glowing like Obi Wan's light saber zapping mosquitoes in July at twilight. I'm picturing something like a nuclear pinball machine that lights up every time it passes a carcinoid.

Actually, only part of that is true (you can guess which part...s). Mom got the goods this morning, then they take one reading this evening and another tomorrow. Waiting aside, MDA has been a pleasantly patient-o-centric place. But we're all anxious to hear what Dr. Yao has to say tomorrow.

I know this post isn't anything close to informative, but I really just wanted to take a minute to say something to everyone reading (and posting on) this blog: Thank you. Thank you, thank you. I recently told a colleague of mine about mom, and she was very empathetic (having lost her own mother to cancer several years ago). One of her first questions was, "Does your mom have a support system?" It took me a minute to answer because it had never occurred to me that someone wouldn't have a support system, never mind the incredible one that you all comprise.

I also know you can't help yourselves, because my parents are pretty amazing, and even if you feel for them only a fraction of what Carrie and I do, that's quite a bit. I just wanted you all to know that an anxious daughter in Boston (and another in NYC) are afforded a little bit of peace knowing they have such a vast safety net. And when Dad says how much they appreciate you all, they really really really mean it.

And so do I.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got most of the news, our prayers are with you all! Love ya LOTS Kim, Dicky, Carrie, and Abby!

Ryan and Christina Watson

Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks Abbby, we're praying.
Brian, Crystal & Josiah Garcia

Kacey said...

Abs, I'm with you on the 4-minute idea! That's not asking too much, huh Dicky?

Brigitte M said...

Thank you for the updates...very intresting commentaries!
You are lifted up in continual prayer...

Anonymous said...

From one who has lost a DEAR parent, recently, I am praying specifically for you two sisters. You are in a really frightening place right now and I want you to know that we who have lost a parent to cancer are praying that you two are spared from this particularly wrenching kind of heartache. I am praying specifically for YOUR PEACE tonight, Abby and Carrie. I hope you can feel the relief that comes from KNOWING you are held up continually through the night in prayer. For me it was like warm oil poured over a wound. We love you both... Sarabeth

Anonymous said...

Thanks abby for the post. Very informative, but mainly entertaining. We continue to pray for all of you, especially your mom, and know that God is holding you all in His hands. Love ya'll - Curtis & Debi

Anonymous said...

Love ya. Hang in there. Aunt Ginny

Anonymous said...

Abby & Carrie - thank you so much for loving your mom and dad and being the daughters that you are. You are very special to the Burns family. We have watched you grow up and have always been blessed by the friendship of your family. Hang in there - we love you Jeanne & Terry

Anonymous said...

Dear Abby and Carrie,
Thanks for the post and the blog idea. Thanks most of all for allowing us to share your mom and dad in love.
We are praying for you too.