Thursday, January 31, 2008

At long last....a report from Dr. Yao!

Abby again. This time I'll be much more informative, I promise. I'm currently on the phone with Kim and Dicky, who are stuck in Houston traffic (which means they're on their way home). They asked me if I'd type as they dictate and update. Here goes:


"Thanks for the answered prayer about Dr. Yao (that we would feel like we could ask him questions and understand everything he said). All of that was totally answered above and beyond. Even though we got there at 2:00 and didn't see him till 5:00--when we finally did, he was personable, patient, sat with us and was willing to answer questions.

Basically, the report is pretty much what it was when we left Ruston. There are still cardinoid tumors on my liver, but the liver function is normal and all the blood work came back good, meaning none of my other organs are affected. Since this type of tumor isn't responsive to certain treatments and they tend to be very slow growing, Dr. Yao just recommends watching them. Starting 3 months from now, we'll schedule another appointment, do another CAT scan (don't worry, nothing nuclear) and as long as they haven't grown, we can probably go another 4 months from then, and so on.

Meanwhile, THANK YOU for your prayers. It really helped during three hours of waiting, just knowing that ya'll were praying. Dr. Yao seemed relatively unconcerned--for a person that has extensively studied carcinoid tumors--which makes me feel better. This trip established our baseline, and everything after that will be reevaluated. If they're not growing, we'll go longer between visits. If they are, we'll take it from there.

All that being said, we can still pray for them to GO AWAY! But right now, God's answer is just to watch and wait. Thank you again for all your trucking with us during all this."

13 comments:

Kacey said...

Yikes! Bet that was a fun THREE HOURS! Glad for the encouraging word. And though I'm sad you are leaving Houston, I'm glad you're getting to go home. Thanx for letting us all be a part of this--y'all are amazing!
Love,
Kacey

Anonymous said...

Trust and wait. Probably the two most difficult aspects of our faith. Still prayin'.

Neal & Laura

Missy and Randy Goodwin said...

OK, I know I'm a lay-person, but that sounds pretty good to me! In my mind, the only thing better would have been "Kim, you're cancer free, go home". At this point, I know ya'll are happy to have second-best news. So are we.

On to other important matters...FOOD. I think having cancer gives you total permission to just pig out -- at least for a day or two. Forget the diet -- unless it's doctor-ordered -- and tell me what you like. What you REALLY like. Cajun? Italian? Mexican (this is mostly for you Kim, so don't let Dicky answer)? Chocolate? Cheesecake? PLEASE, tell me. I want to bring ya'll supper sometime within the next few days. And I DON'T want to hear "oh, whatever you make is fine". Give me something here.

I'm so happy ya'll are done with this chapter. I hope the next one is even more hopeful. In the meantime, we will KEEP PRAYING.

I'll be calling about that meal.

Love in Christ,
Missy

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I haven't alphabetized your recent illustrations yet...promise to have them ready to file by early tomorrow...Prayers have been answered. Be safe coming home...
Love you,
Mary Helen

Lora said...

We rejoice in our Great God and praise Him for good news. We are all on the "Road of Wait & See". We are just waiting & seeing about different things. Come home, live life and love living knowing you are in His Mighty Hand!

Anonymous said...

The very best news that you share is the gift of hugs God is sending your way. Becky and I pray for peace and joy in your lives, that you may laugh together at family jokes, cheat on your respective diets together, and hold hands like you were teenagers.

Shalom.

The Stricklers

Anonymous said...

Kim & Dicky:
Byron here. Melinda looking over my shoulder to make sure I get it right. We're so happy to hear this good news. Guess when you read this you'll be home. Glad to have ya'll back here among the red of neck; we love ya'll.
Byron

Anonymous said...

Soooooooooooo Happy!!!
Happy Hugs!!
With you in spirit!
Glad you are headed home!!!
Have fun with the GPS!!!
Kim we missed you yesterday at Bible Study. Carol did a great job!
Glad you will be back with us next week.
More Moore Hugs!!!! Melinda (Moore)

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jesus! I am so, so grateful for all the many answered prayers. Glad you all are free to leave and return home and I am praying that they go away and that as you go on there will be great peace.

thank you for your updates, they have helped so much, once I remembered where they were.

I love you both so much,

Gail

Chris Larsen said...

Praise God! We are so thankful that you guys are headed home. Once again, the promised land has come through for our weaker brothers to the East.

We'll keep waiting and praying with you.

Your friends,
the Larsens

Missy and Randy Goodwin said...

I've been reading the last blog over and over, and I still get a good feeling. I've focused on this so much for the past three days, that I may get fired (just kidding). I know it's not the "your cancer is gone" diagnosis that we all wish it was, but it's still good news! Your cancer hasn't spread! Praise God.

It's pretty intimidating, thinking of getting all theological with ya'll, but what it all comes down to is that you, Dicky, and the girls are just human like the rest of us. We look to you to be the Prayer Warriors that you are -- but now you need us to step up to the plate and be that for you. No doubt you deserve it, even though I'm quite sure you don't realize it.

Just know that I'm praying. We're praying. A bunch of us are praying. I pray that your spirits will feel that.

We love you,
Missy

Anonymous said...

That's really some good news! I'm also glad to know that Dicky can drive after sunset and still stay awake! Must be that glow from the passenger side...

We rejoice with you and will continue our prayers. As our African brothers say, "God is good all the time, all the time God is good"

Be blessed today!